Understanding Crowns, Bridges & Veneers, Newport Beach Dentists
Crown, bridge and veneer treatments
These are a trio of elective treatments that are performed to fix damaged teeth and can also be used to make your teeth look better.
At Beach Dentists, Newport Beach, we offer these treatments – please read on to understand each one, and talk to us about any concerns or questions you may have.
A dental crown is recommended if you have severely damaged, cracked, or decayed teeth. It is often suggested for teeth that have undergone root canal treatment, particularly the back premolar and molar teeth.
Crowns can be crafted from various materials such as porcelain, zirconia, gold alloy, or a combination of porcelain and metal. The colour of porcelain and zirconia can be matched to your natural teeth colour.
Treatment often requires two dental appointments.
- Tooth Reshaping: In the initial appointment at Beach Dentists Newport, we reshape the tooth to create space for your new crown
- Tooth Impression: An impression of the tooth is taken either through a traditional mold or a 3D scan
- Temporary Crown: A temporary plastic crown is placed over the reshaped tooth
- Crown Creation: A dental technician creates the crown using the provided impression or 3D image
- Final Placement: In the second visit, the temporary crown is replaced with the final one, glued or cemented onto your natural tooth.
We colour match to your natural teeth
Dental bridges serve as replacements for one or more missing teeth. They involve placing crowns on adjacent teeth with a false tooth (pontic) bridging the gap.
Similar to crowns, bridges can be made from porcelain, zirconia, gold alloy, or a combination of materials.
- Tooth Reshaping: Teeth adjacent to the gap are reshaped in the first appointment
- Temporary Bridge: An acrylic (plastic) bridge is temporarily glued between visits
- Final Bridge Placement: In the second visit, the manufactured bridge is permanently glued or cemented
Your custom bridge should last for 10-15 years or more, if you have a good oral hygiene routine and attend regular check-ups at Beach Dentists.
A dental bridge plugs the gap and supports your teeth if you’re missing a tooth or a tooth needs to be extracted.
Other options to replace missing teeth include partial dentures and dental implants. Talk to us as we can help you choose the best option for you.
Dental veneers, crafted from thin shells of porcelain or composite resin, enhance the aesthetics of one or multiple teeth.
There are two types of veneers: composite resin veneers (completed in one appointment) and porcelain veneers (requiring at least two appointments).
- Tooth Preparation: Minimal to no tooth structure is removed
- Colour Matching: The colour of veneers is matched to surrounding teeth for a natural appearance
Proper care, including regular brushing and flossing, ensures the longevity of teeth with crowns, bridges, or veneers.
While these treatments provide durability, regular check-ups are still essential, as teeth with crowns, bridges, or veneers may still be susceptible to decay or require replacement over time.
If you’re considering crown, bridge, or veneer treatments, please talk to us at Beach Dentists to explore the best option for you.